Topki Station

FurnaceThe hub station Topki (Swamps) (topkie bolota - Boggy Swamps) was founded during the construction of the Kolchuginskaya railway line.

Construction of the station began in 1913, and White Czechs prisoners were brought in to do the work during the First World War. In September 1914, on the site of the future station, a wagon was placed on which soon appeared the inscription Swampy Station, the name of one of the nearby villages. The station building had a total area of 820 square metres and was commissioned in 1916. There were offices for the station master and his assistant station master, as well as restrooms for the locomotive crews.

The station could handle 200 passengers per day. Following a major overhaul in 1999, the station now meets all the modern requirements for passenger services. The station is an architectural monument and during the modernisation, the exterior architectural elements were carefully restored.

Yurga Station

JürgYurga is a town on the Tom River in the Kemerovo region, 148 km northwest of Kemerovo itself. It is also a railway hub. From 1942, it was a workers' village, and from 1949, a town. There is a local history museum and a Museum of Children's Art, as well as a Museum of the Peoples of Siberia and the Far East.

The town was founded in 1886. In 1906, Yurga-1 Station was built on the railway line. The station received its name from the river Yurga, which has gone by the names Yerga, Gurga and now Talaya.

The construction of a new Yurga - Kolchugino branch line began in 1913. At the 104th kilometre, a junction station (Swampy) with a branch line to Shcheglovsk (Kemerovo) was planned, while the terminal station was to be the village of Kolchugino (Leninsk-Kuznetsk). In 1914, Yurga station was built to a standard design.

Mezheninovka Station

MezheninovkaThe construction of the Great Siberian Railway is closely connected with the name Nicholas Mezheninov, who came from an old noble family in the Ryazan governorate. In 1861, he graduated from the Mathematics Department of the Physics and Mathematics Faculty at the Imperial Moscow University and immediately enrolled in the Institute of Transportation Engineers, from which "he graduated in 1863 with the rank of lieutenant-engineer at the end of a full course of study."

Tsar Alexander III entrusted Mezheninov with an important part of the construction of the Trans-Siberian, namely the mid-section from the River Ob to Irkutsk, a distance of 1,700 versts. A verst is 1.067 kilometers or 0.6629 miles.

Mezheninov gave almost ten years of his life to this project. He was head of surveying, at first from Tomsk to Irkutsk, and then from the Ob to the city of the same name (the second version of the route). From March 1893, he was head of construction on the Central Siberian section. Today the name of this pioneer has been immortalised in the name of a railway station near Tomsk.

Litvinovo Station

LitvinovoLitvinovo Station was named in honour of Ivan Ilyich Litvinov, whose name is shrouded in legend. He lived in a hunting lodge in a remote coniferous forest a few kilometres from Taiga station and lived from hunting and gold mining.

According to legend, he killed about a hundred bears during his life and extracted some 8 poods of alluvial gold by panning in the rich auriferous sands along the region's streams and rivers. At least a dozen nuggets passed through his hands. Litvinov used to sell his gold, skins and meat to merchants and was a rich and strong proprietor. But he found fame as a lucky prospector and experienced gopher because he helped surveyors to plan the future route and accompanied Nikolai Mezheninov, the head surveyor of the future correct route and subsequently the head of construction on the Central-Siberian Railway.

MoshkovoMoshkovo Station

The history of Moshkovsky district begins in 1703, when the Umrevinsky fort was established on the southern border of the Tomsk district to protect Russian land. The fort was the first sign of Russian statehood and the first defensive fortification to be put up on the land around Novosibirsk. The first peasant settlement appeared in 1706, and by 1727 there were already 50 farms. The Moscow Highway passed through the village of Umreva.

In 1890, Anton Chekhov passed through the village of Dubrovino on the Moscow Highway when he was travelling to the island of Sakhalin. During these years, the Trans-Siberian Railway was already under construction. The Trans-Siberian subsequently determined the fate of many towns and cities and the line passed through two villages, Alekseevskoe and Romanovskoe, which were later merged and became a railway station, first Alexeyevsky and then Moshkovo.

Today, the village is located on the Trans-Siberian Railway, 57 km from Novosibirsk, and is home to 10,500 people.