Ksenevskaya Station

KsenevskayaThe first houses for the construction workers on the Amur railway were built on the site of the current Ksenevskaya in 1908. According to the old residents, the village was named after Xenia, the daughter of Tsar Nicholas II, to whom the mines on the river Chernaya Uryum (Black Uryum) were presented. The gold placers along the rivers Belaya (White) and Chernaya Uryum were discovered in 1863 by the mining engineer A. A. Cherkasov, who wrote "Sketches of Eastern Siberia". The mines were being worked from 1865. The station itself is located at the confluence of the Chernaya Uryum, Itaka and Beryozovkaya rivers.

Shortly after the start of construction in 1913, the famous Norwegian explorer F. Nansen visited Ksenevskaya. His book "In the Country of the Future" contains the following lines: "We stayed at the beautiful Ksenevskaya station, which lies on the slopes of the Uryumskaya valley. It is home to 1,500 people. On the hill stands a small church, and from this hill there is view across the entire valley, as far as the distant surrounding mountains."

From 1936 to 1959, Ksenevskaya was a junction station between the Trans-Baikal and the Amur railways and underwent considerable development. In addition to rail transport enterprises, the village is also the location of the Ksenevsky mine and timber and logging companies, as well as the Eastern Geological Expedition.

The most famous event in recent history was the celebration in December 1994 when the electrification of the Moscow - Khabarovsk line, the longest electrified railway in the world, was completed.

Zhanna Station

JeanneMogochinskaya station is an intermediate station on a branch line in Mogochinsky District in the Chita region, 145 km from the district centre and 48 km from Amazar station, which is under the management of Zhanna. Old-timers say that the station is named after a girl who came to the taiga with a team of geologists but ended up as the victim of a bear.

The station was founded in 1909 during the construction of the West-Amur railway as siding No. 22. During the construction of the second track, it was converted into a station. In the 1970s, television and communication relay stations were built here. During electrification, four houses and social facilities were built.

Matsievskaya Station

The railway station on the Karymskaya - Zabaikalsk line is 11 km from the town of Zabaikalsk. It was built in 1900, during the construction of the Kaydalovskaya connecting branch line. Originally, it was called Siberia, but after Major General Matseyevsky, the military governor of the Trans-Baikal region, cut the ribbon to open the way for the passage of the first train to Manchuria on 10 February 1901, the station was renamed in his honour. This was the most significant event in the station's history. In addition to the military governor E. O. Matseyevsky, the celebration was attended by A. N. Pushechnikov, the head of construction on the Trans-Baikal Railway, and their attendants. A "golden link", as we would now say, was created, prayers were said and a toast was raised to the emperor. Immediately after the prayers and ceremony, the first Siberian train departed slowly for Manchuria.

In his book Railway Settlements on the Trans-Baikal Line, V. Soldatov wrote that "In spite of its location on the border, the station's value is negligible because in fact the border station is Manchuria, where all the border agencies are concentrated. Almost no private citizens live there (7 people). Only railway employees and workers live there (63 people). The station is of no value now, and probably never will be." His words proved prophetic.